Friday, August 31, 2012

Desserts and Sweets

I have sweet tooth. I always have hidden chocolate bars under my cupboard. And there are times that I indulge myself, go to a cafe and order any dessert that appeals to me.

So here are some of the desserts that I've tried while in Korea, which I have tasted during my indulgence or during birthday celebrations.

cakes from Paris Baguette

Chocolate cake. I am not very impressed with Paris Baguette's chocolate cake. It is soft and creamy. It is a good cake, not too sweet. But I think it lacks the chocolatey taste. The frosting (as you can see from the photo) has crack which is a sign that even the frosting is not made of pure chocolate. So if you're craving for a rich chocolate cake, I think this is not the best option, just so-so.


Blueberry yogurt cake. For this flavor, I think Paris Baguette did a good job. The yogurt has the proper blend of sweet and sour taste. The chiffon base cake is soft and silky. The frosting is creamy and yummy. The fruit toppings are well-ripen. 


Cheesecake. Eating this cake reminds me of Lemonsquare cheesecake. The cake is not the usual cake made of pure cream cheese with a graham base. Paris Baguette cheesecake is combination of cream cheese and flour. As a cheesecake fanatic, I do not very much appreciate this cake from Paris Baguette. Even the topping is not very cheesecake-y. The topping is like the one added to leche flan. I don't give this cake a thumbs up.


Vanilla cake. THIS. THIS CAKE. This is personally my favorite cake in Paris Baguette. It has soft and silky chiffon cake inside with so much creaminess. It is best eaten when chilled. The fruit toppings are also good, but I once ate the grape and it had seed. But aside from that, the cake has the right sweetness of vanilla. :)

**cookies from Paris Baguette

These are Homemade Cookies from Paris Baguette. There's one type (oatmeal?) with raisins and the other one is chocolate cookie. They taste like... homemade cookies. :) They are the crunchy type, not the chewy type. Just a piece or two is fine, but the third piece will already give you the I-don't-like-anymore feeling about it. Best eaten with a glass of milk.

from Caffe Bene (*they spell cafe with double f)

Cheesecake. I like the cheesecake in Caffe Bene. It is plain and cheesy and creamy. It is served chilled and it melts in the mouth. The cake is made of pure cheese and cream, no flour. It is sour and salty, but its sweetness is a little bit sweeter than what I am used to. But overall, I like it. :)


Strawberry waffle with whipped cream. This one from Caffe Bene is heavenly divine. The waffle is soft and the whipped cream is really good. The strawberry is slightly drizzled with syrup but it is perfect. This waffle can be a meal itself, it is heavy and can make you feel full. I love it.

from Vero Espresso (a nearby local cafe)

Patbingsoo is shaved ice with milk and syrup topped with corn flakes, red beans, fruits, or different combinations, and sometimes topped with ice cream. It served in a big bowl which is shared within a group.


Red bean patbingsoo (팥빙수). 


Fruit patbingsoo (팥빙수)

from a street vendor
Cup-pingsoo (컵핑수). This version of patbingsoo is eaten alone. It is served in a small cup and is usually sold as street food for 1000 won.

from Tokyo Taiyaki (located Lotte Department Store Food Court)

I don't know what these are called, but it's a pastry with choice of red beans or custard as its filling. It is best served hot and is very yummy.

from convenience store (Family Mart/ CU)


Parfait (파르페). Whenever I crave for a readily available ice cream, I just go to the nearest convenience store and buy this ice cream. It has chocolate, strawberry, and cookies and cream flavors. There are also different types of ice cream and all are really good.

I don't have photos but when you're in Korea and you want premium ice cream, the most famous is Baskin Robbins. You'll love their variety of flavors and every 31st of the months, they have this event promo which gives you a free upsize of your bucket order. :)

PS. I made a separate blog on my favorite Korean cafe named 남작할 슬리퍼 (namjakhal slipper). They have great pastries. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment