Thursday, August 30, 2012

Cooking Pasta in Korea: An Easy Recipe

I love cooking and my forte is pasta. I've been an executive chef in one big event and a sous chef in one event, both of which events the main dish is pasta. This led me to experimenting several pasta sauces at home: cream-based, tomato-based, tomato/cream-based.

In my almost 6 months of staying in Korea, I have never tried cooking "real" food for a meal. My food is either from a restaurant or something instant cooked with something not instant (example: sauteed canned tuna with cabbage, instant noodles with broccoli, etc.). So on my roommate's birthday, I decided to cook pasta. It also happened to be the last day of our summer English group study for our Korean friends, so it was a worthy double celebration.

Experiment No. 15: Cooking Pasta in Korea
Since it was my first time to cook pasta in Korea, I did not have any idea how the sauces taste like, if they were more on the sour side or the sweet side.

Ingredients:
10 cloves garlic, minced (the garlic in Korea is kinda mild in flavor)
1 large white onion, minced
1 T corn margarine
400 g ground pork (I prefer pork over beef because beef gets greasy in sauces)
2 jars spaghetti sauce, 680 grams each (or tomato sauce)
1 jar carbonara sauce, approx 300 grams (or alfredo sauce)
1 cup parsley, chopped
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
1 pc carrot, minced
salt and pepper, to taste



Procedure:

Heat pan and add margarine. Saute in the garlic and onion.

When the onion and garlic are cooked, add in the ground pork.


Add salt and pepper. Cover and wait for pork to turn into brown color. Then add carrot and parsley.


Put the carbonara sauce.


Wait for it to simmer, then add the tomato sauce. 


Mix and blend the sauces well. (Funny that it almost reached the rim of the sauce pan! Haha. We have limited cooking utensils because we're only staying in Korea for short time.. :P)


Wait for it to boil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook pasta noodles according to instruction. Serve while it's hot. Top with parsley and cheese for more colors. :)



When in a foreign country, you'll never go wrong in cooking when you have the right taste buds. Don't be afraid to experiment, because it is really really fun to experiment on food. <3






No comments:

Post a Comment