Saturday, August 11, 2012

Anmyeon Island (안면도) Experience

So this was my first ever camp to participate in during my stay in Korea. A four-hour travel from the province I am staying at, in Jeonju (전주). It is an all-expenses paid trip by KISSA.

It is a 5-day* volunteer work in Anmyeon Island where we went vegetable picking and sea-side cleaning.
*Turned out, it became a 4-day experience because of typhoon and other problems...








Didn't know before that I can experience star-gazing during daylight. :)
Starfish galore. ♥♥♥







July 16 ~ July 19, 2012. ♥
Got to meet new people from all over the world, who share the same passion for exploring culture and travelling the earth. Met other international students who, same as me, are living their lives to its fullest. :)



For our first task of volunteer work, we cleaned seaweed (김) by the seashore. It was a hot summer day. I forgot to bring sunblock so hello ultra-tanned skin.



It was really really tiring. We were able to fill maybe 10 mini-truckloads of seaweeds. I would have given up if not for the friends that I've been working with. While picking up the seaweed, I was having chats with my new-found friends. I met a Filipina, she's older than me and have stayed in Korea for quite a few years. She told me her travel experiences, her host family, gave me tips. I enjoyed her company, I found a new sister.

After swimming, we were given the privilege to swim. It was very relaxing to soak under cool water after working under the scorching sun.






Our second task was to cut garlic. We rode a pick-up truck on our way to the garlic farm. Hot and breezy joyride.  :)



So our task was to cut the root and stem parts of the garlic, separate large and small ones, and do as many as we can. As usual, working time equates to bonding time. I learned so many things from the stories of my new friends and they also learned a lot from me (I hope.)




I like cutting garlic better than picking up seaweed.



Our third task of volunteer work is going to a middle school and high school to interact with students, share about our country of origin, and to have a mini museum tour.



On our last night in Anmyeon Island, we had a mini-celebration where all volunteers prepared performances according to country of origin.



It's a fulfilling volunteer farm work, which also turned out to be a party!!! Party of united nations. ♥♥♥ 




When I saw the slippers and shoes in front of the door, I couldn't help but smile. I'm amazed how these pairs of footwear belonged to people from all over the world, but are all geared to one direction-- that is volunteer work.





seaside cleaning > swimming > seaside cleaning > garlic cutting > middle school teaching > museum tour with highschool students > feasting. INSERT FUN IN ALL ACTIVITIES. ♥

HIHI. Definitely one of my most unforgettables. :)
Really, the best things in life are for free. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment